Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe

We have been enjoying some really beautiful springtime days around here. We have had beautiful blue skies, with temperatures with highs in the mid to upper eighties. Another thing that signals spring is in full swing is that locally grown strawberries have begun to appear at the roadside stands in our area. A bucket of those beautiful local berries has already made its way into my kitchen!

Have I told you about my dearest and closest friend Harriette? Yes. Yes, I have, but here I go again. She is one of the sweetest people on the face of this planet? She is also one of the most loving, selfless and generous people I have ever known. We enjoy hanging out together. Sometimes we get together to work on some craft project or other or to sew something or just to talk and enjoy one another's company. She loves me unconditionally, in spite of all my shortcomings, including a mind that jumps from one subject to another and then back again. She knows what I am trying to say, even when I veer off on another tangent in the middle of the conversation. That, and all my other crazy, quirky ways!

We also like to go out and haunt some of the local thrift stores to see if anything strikes the fancy. For instance, we were out a couple of days ago and I saw something I thought would be really useful. I saw an electric ice cream churn which looked to be in very good condition.

I already have an ice cream churn and it works just fine, but it is a hand churn. It takes a lot of arm work and energy to use it, which isn't as easy for me as it used to be. I hate to admit it but I have some hand and back issues so when I use the hand churn, it is when we have grand kids over. They take turns sitting on top of the churn to hold it steady. They also take turns turning the hand crank. The cranked out the big in the post where we made Homemade Fresh Chunky Peach Ice Cream!

I've been wanting to buy an Ice Cream Maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer but that thing is pretty expensive. So, when I saw the Cuisinart Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt maker at the thrift store the other day for the great price of $5.00. I waved my friend over to the table where the thing was sitting and asked her what she thought about it.

I said "If it works, that is a really good price, don't you think?" I was getting ready to hunt for a plug to try it out when Harriette said "Yes, it is a good price, but if you really want one, I know someone who can hook you up with one just like it that hasn't really been used very much." When I asked who in the world had one cheaper than $5.00, she told me she had one stored away at her house and I could have it for a price I could not refuse. FREE! I told you she's wonderful, didn't I?

When we got back to my friend's house, we walked out back to a shed where she thought the churn was stored and there it was, right where she thought it would be! It looked brand, spanking new!

But, as usual, I digress! Let's get back to those strawberries that are in my kitchen, waiting for something delicious to be made with them. Ice cream would be good. Yes, strawberry ice cream, some really rich and creamy strawberry ice cream. I made Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream! 
Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Sweet dreams are made of this!
Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

The electric ice cream maker works wonderfully, sitting on my counter top and churning away. My hands, back and arms are grateful. The result is this beautiful, sweet and luscious creation!
Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
I made this ice cream using Heavy Whipping Cream as its base. For those with a palate for rich ice cream, this one is for you.
Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
My new (to me) electric ice cream maker will make up to one-and-a-half quarts of ice cream and my recipe filled it up, all the way to the top, after all that heavy whipping cream fluffed up in it as it churned away!
Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

Our local strawberries are so sweet and juicy. They really do make some beautiful and delicious strawberry ice cream!

I used this great Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt-Ice & Sorbet Maker and it took only about 20 minutes to churn up about 1-1/2 quarts of this beautiful ice cream:
Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker

Would you like to make up a batch of Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream? Well, go ahead and find you some luscious and sweet fresh strawberries and get started! You're certain to like it. Here is the recipe!

Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

Ingredients:

1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup granulated white sugar
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries(mashed or chopped, as preferred) with juice
1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions:

Wash and pat dry the fresh the 1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries. Remove the leaf caps (hull) from the strawberries.
In a bowl, mash or chop the strawberries and set aside. Pour 1/2 cup of whole milk in a large bowl. 
Add granulated sugar to the milk in bowl. 
Add pinch of salt 
Add 1-1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract. 
Whisk together the milk, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until the sugar is dissolved in the milk. 
Add the mashed fresh strawberries(including the juice).
Add the heavy whipping cream to the milk and sugar mixture and slowly stir to combine. 
Pour strawberry mixture into the container of ice cream maker or churn and follow manufacturers directions for making the ice cream.
When the mixture is very thick and creamy, transfer to a freezer container and place container in freezer for several hours or overnight so that ice cream will thicken and can be dipped with an ice cream scoop.

Remove container of ice cream from freezer, serve up and enjoy your Rich & Creamy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream!


I will be linking this post up to the following blog link parties:

MONDAY:
A Round Tuit

THURSDAY:










Comments

Mary said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House