Create A 3-Demensional Paper Star Ornament Or Tree Topper

Simple D.I.Y.  Paper Star Tree Topper
Hello everyone! I hope you are having a beautiful and blessed holiday season. It's beginning to look and feel a lot like Christmas down here in South Carolina. The weather is chilly and things look so festive everywhere we go. It is hard not to get in to the spirit of things.

Ever since the tree in the living room went up this year, it has looked really nice except it was really bare at the top.

We are very old fashioned around our house when it comes to what goes on our tree. In other words, we are not into cookie cutter or one color scheme or one-themed decorations. We load every single branch and sprig with ornaments, some of which are close to a half century old. Yes, we have been married going on fifty years now and we have some ornaments from the first Christmas we shared as newly-weds! It's a collection of memories of places, events and experiences with family and friends. Those are things that are important to us.

The quest to find something lightweight and traditional is something I struggle with every year. We really wanted a star and we have actually purchased several over the years. The problem with the ones we have purchased in the past is that they are a bit heavy and tend to topple unless we(I) rig up something like a wooden skewer and pipe cleaners to use as a back brace. You can imagine how that turns out!

In the quest for a solution, I began to look for a better solution. I wanted something that would simply rest on the branches at the top of the tree. It wasn't long before I found a little tutorial with pictures and templates for making several different sizes of a 3-D, five pointed paper star. If you are interested in creating one of these stars, you can click here to find both the easy to understand instructions, pictures and links to the templates for putting one of these together. If you are new at making 3-D paper stars, as I was, I recommend this easy to read and follow tutorial I discovered on Instructables and written by Fungus Amungus.
Our Christmas Tree With New 3-D Paper Star Topper
I chose the mid-sized template for my star, since our tree is not huge but is fairly substantial.  couldn't find my card stock supply right away so I simply used Crafters Pick non-toxic super glue I found at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago to glue another blank sheet to the back of each of the copies of the printed template. When the pages were dry, I cut out the templates and found they made a pretty sturdy base for assembling each point of the five stars.
A Handmade 3-D Paper Star Tree Topper
I used the same Crafters Pick Non-toxic super glue to glue each point together and then to glue the points to each other. I allowed all that to dry overnight and the next morning I spray painted a base white of Krylon Semi-Gloss White. After the white paint dried, I then sprayed several coats of Krylon Shiny Silver Metallic paint to finish the look. I then found some little antique rhinestone buttons in my very large button collection. I made a small hole in the middle of the front and back of the star at the intersection of the points. I used the same glue to place one of the little buttons on the front and back of the star.

Paints Used To Paint My 3-D Star Tree Topper

I was very pleased with the way the star looked after I was finished making it, especially since it was my first time making a 3-D paper star. The two paints I used give it the appearance of being made of tin and I love that. The best part it is not as heavy as tin would be and it sits nicely on the branches at the top of our tree.
Our Christmas Tree With Its New Paper Star Topper
I hope you enjoyed by little post about our new tin-look 3-D Paper Star Tree Topper. It was a lot of fun and easy to assemble. A great solution to an on-going dilemma!

Thanks so much for paying me a visit at Mimi Mine blog spot! I really do appreciate your taking the time to drop by and I hope you will come back soon.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House