How to Make a Stencil with Freezer Paper

Crafting, in many forms, is something about which I am passionate. I feel so very blessed to live in a world of many beautiful and wonderful things. Arts and crafts is one of them.. One of my favorite things is creating and transferring images onto all sorts of materials.

When something inspires me, I sometimes create a stencil to carry that idea over onto a project. I like to take a picture of something, a statue or nick-knack around the house and  enlarge,shrink or otherwise manipulate it to use in making stencils and for other methods of transferring, such as using solvents and using gel medium. More than once (way more than once), my husband has walked into a room and seen me taking a picture of something, like a miniature replica of the Eiffel Tower, and given me that "she has lost her mind" look. You would think he would be used to it by now.

By the way, graphics can also be found at various sites and blogs, such as http://thegraphicsfairy.com/ . The Graphics Fairy has thousands of great graphics and images, of all kind. There are also tons of great tutorials and ideas for using the images to make your own creations at this site. It has been a favorite of mine for years and I really love visiting Karen's website and blog! Seriously, people, if you have never visited there, you are missing out.

In this post, I am going to tell you about an easy way to make a stencil, using any simple design graphic and freezer paper. I hope to inspire you by showing you how fun and simple it can be to make and use this type of stencil. Some of you might already have most of the materials and tools on hand and, if not, they are all pretty easy to find.

The graphic I used to create the project featured in this post, a dish/hand towel, was inspired by a kitchen rug I purchased  several of years ago. The rug wore out from a lot of use but I had taken a picture of a small portion of it. With the photo as a reference, I drew the rooster. It is not exactly like the image that was on the rug, and certainly not perfect, but I was able to create a somewhat similar image. Using a program I had on my old computer (Print Shop), I filled the image with black "paint" to create a silhouette. Sad to say, that program does not work on my current computer. It is too bad, because I used it constantly. I have used this same graphic with various methods of image transfers, over the past several years.

Since French Country design is particularly appealing to me, I feel the rooster or "coq" is perfect for so many applications. It is also great for any other Country or Farm House decor. This is the project:



For the sake of convenience, here is a list of the things for the project:
  • A Flour Sack or Other Towel With a Smooth, Flat Surface
  • Graphic to be Used for Stencil Design
  • Fabric Paint (I use Speedball Screen Printing Paints) http://www.speedballart.com/. This Can be Found at Many Craft Stores. I Purchase  from Our Local Hobby Lobby http://hobbylobby.com/
  • A Medium Sized Stenciling Paint Brush
  • Popcicle Stick or Something with Which to Stir Your Paint
  • Paper Plate or Anything to Use as a Paint Palette
  • Paper Towels or Old Rag
  • Cutting Board to Place Under the Stencil when Cutting (if Using Craft Knife)
  • Fine-tipped Ball-point Pen
  • Exacto or Craft Knife with Very Sharp Blade or Very Small Sharp Scissors
  • Piece of Aluminum Foil or Piece of Cardboard 
  • Freezer Paper. This Can Usually be Found at the Supermarket in the Same Area as Waxed Paper and Aluminum Foil
  • Iron & Ironing Board                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I know this looks like a lot of stuff, but you probably have many of the things already.                                     Here are pictures of some, but not all, the things needed to complete the project:                                                                                                              
    Speedball Screen Printing Paints
    Graphic or Picture to be Used to Design Stencil, Freezer Paper, Ball-Point Pen, Craft Knife, Stencil Brush, Paper Towels, Paint(s) and Paint Stirring Stick. All sitting on Top of Large Wooden Cutting Board.

    Flour Sacks Purchased From Walmart in a 5-Pack

    Step 1: Cut a piece of the freezer paper an inch or two larger, on every side, than the graphic being used to design the stencil. Note: A sheet of printer paper or cardstock can be used as a guide when cutting the piece of freezer paper. This will help to keep the outside edges of the freezer paper straight and, as I will point out later, make an easier job of folding the stencil and centering your work during the cutting, adhering and painting process. Word of Hard Learned Wisdom: The reason that the freezer paper should be cut larger than the actual dimensions of the graphic is that paint will be applied right up to and over the edges of  the stencil's design. Allowing enough room around the edges of the stencil when it is cut out of the freezer paper will ensure that masking tape or painter's tape will not be necessary after the stencil is ironed on to the towel. This way, paint that spills over the cut sides of the stencil (a given when stenciling) will not get on to other areas of your towel and ruin your project. 

    Step 2: Place the graphic, right side up, onto your cutting board or whatever is being used to protect the table or work surface. 


    Step 3: Center the piece of freezer paper on top of the graphic. The image should be visible through the freezer paper so that it can be traced, all the way around the image, and onto the mat or dull side of the freezer paper. A light box, if one is available, would be handy to use here. The image and freezer paper could also be placed on the pane of a window with light shining through. Since the graphic I used is black, it is easily seen through the freezer paper. This is a close-up photo of the image after being placed under the freezer paper: 
     My original graphic, as you can see in the picture above, included some ground area below and around the rooster's feet, but I left that part out of the design when cutting the featured stencil. Remember, I wanted to keep the image simple, so I could use one continuous line around the rooster. 

    Step 4: Use the ball-point pen to trace the graphic onto the freezer paper. Like this:


    Step 5: Remove the graphic from under the freezer paper.

    Step 6: Place the freezer paper, with traced image, onto your cutting board or other protective surface to begin the process of cutting the stencil. 

    Step 7: Using the craft knife, begin to carefully cut around the tracing lines of your design. Like this:


    Note: A small and very sharp pair of scissors could also be used to cut the stencil. Just make sure to cut slowly and carefully, whatever tool is used.

    The finished stencil should look something like this:

    Step 8: Take the project (in this case a flour sack) to the ironing board. At this point in the process, give the fabric a good pressing, blocking the piece to make it as straight as possible. Since the flour sack is shaped, more or less like a square, I perform the following steps.

    ** Fold the piece in half, one direction, press, then open back up.
    **Fold in half in the other direction and press. 
    **Open the piece back up. It should look something like this:

    This picture illustrates the creases lightly ironed into the towel to denote the center of the towel. The stencil will be placed on the bottom half and centered across the crease which denotes the center of the bottom half.

    Step 9:  Align the stencil with the center crease line on the bottom half of the towel. At this point, it will be very helpful to lightly fold the freezer paper stencil to form a vertical crease. It seems like extra work, I know, but it ensures that the graphic will be straight and centered on the bottom of the towel. It will look much nicer in the end. Once the area for placement is established, with the shiny or waxed side of the stencil facing the top of the towel, it is time for the next step. Here is a picture of the process. Look closely and you can see how the vertical fold in the middle of the towel lines up with the vertical fold you made in the freezer paper stencil:
    This picture of the Stencil, Having Been Placed on Top of the Bottom Half of the Towel. This Illustrates How the Crease Lines Assist in Centering up The Graphic on the Towel

    Step 10: Now that the stencil has been placed shiny, waxed side down and aligned on your towel in a pleasing manner, it is time to begin ironing the stencil. Using a DRY iron(no steam) carefully press the entire stencil on to the front of the towel. It will begin to stick to the towel. Pay close attention to small areas(in this case the roosters claws, comb and hanging feathers). Press the entire stencil,  including the edges around the cut out portion. This is the "adhering"  process referred to earlier in this post. In other words, this is the moment when the stencil is actually forming a temporary bond with the fabric. When the stencil is bonded to the towel and there are no gaps or areas that are not securely stuck to the fabric, it is time to start painting.

    Step 11: Move the towel, completely opened and flat, with its attached stencil back over to the work surface to begin the painting process. I placed a piece of aluminum foil on top of my cutting board to keep paint from seeping through and getting onto the cutting board. I placed my towel with stencil onto the foil-covered cutting board. Using something like foil or cardboard to protect your work surface would be wise. 

    To begin painting, place a small mound of paint onto a paper plate or whatever is to be used as a palette. Holding the stencil brush in a vertical position, straight up and down, dip the flat end of the bristles into the paint. It is best when painting with a stencil to apply two or three light coats, rather than one heavy coat.  Remove a bit of the paint, each time you dip it into the paint, by lightly pouncing it (holding the brush straight up and down) onto a paper towel or, as I did, onto the edge of the paper plate, as illustrated here:
    Applying Paint to Stencil Brush and Holding Brush Straight Up and Down and Using a Light Pouncing Motion to Remove Some of the Paint from the Brush Before Applying Paint to Project

    Use this same straight up and down and gentle "pouncing" motion to apply the paint to the stencil. Apply the paint in light layers until the desired coverage is achieved, usually two or three light coats. Make sure that paint covers along all the edges, so that the finished product will have a "crisp" looking appearance. After completely covering the open area of the stencil (the design area) it should look something like mine (a big glob) in this picture:
    Stencil After a Couple of Light Coats of Paint were Applied. This  Illustrates the Importance of Leaving an Inch or Two Around the Outsides of the Stencil to Avoid Having Paint on Areas that are Not to be Painted.


    To avoid any unnecessary messes, wait a few minutes for the paint to dry. Meantime, make sure to check hands and fingers to make sure they have not picked up any paint during the process.Wipe or wash them off. As stated earlier, it is no fun to ruin a perfectly good project with inadvertent paint smears. Believe me, I know all about that!

    Now, for the moment of truth. The big reveal! Starting at one corner, slowly begin to peel back the freezer paper from the towel to see the lovely painted image. Here we go:
    Peeling off the Freezer Paper Stencil to Reveal the Finished Painting



    Peeling a Little More

    After removing all of the stencil and allowing the paint to dry completely (overnight in this case) it is a good idea to heat set the design with a dry, hot iron, as I did. After heat setting my towel, it was laundered and ironed. The towel has now been laundered, pressed and folded.  This picture gives a better idea as to how the design was placed on the bottom/middle portion of the towel.
    Towel After Having Been Laundered, Pressed and Folded. See How the Design is on the Bottom/Middle Half of the Towel?

    The following picture is how the towel will look when it hangs over a towel bar or rack, with only the front side visible.

    Laundered and Pressed French Country Rooster Towel
    Pretty Country French, n'est pas? Go ahead. Give it a whirl. It is great fun and it will surely give you something to crow about!

















    Comments

    NanaDiana said…
    Wow- That really turned out great, Lynn. I am surprised at how well that paper held up and allowed so much detail without getting all wavy around the edges. You did a wonderful job! xo Diana
    Now that is wonderful!!! What a perfect material for making stencils with!!! They look fantastic friend! I am going to give this one a whirl! I hope you and your family are well! Have a lovely weekend!!
    Anya said…
    Lynn! it's a really great work!! you've been very clear in your tutorial and it's gorgeous. You must go on with other projects!!!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Bogomilla
    Sweet! love how it's full of character and looks like it was handed down from generation to generation. It turned out great, good job!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Diana,
    So glad you came by to check out the little tutorial! Thanks for taking time to leave the sweet comments, too. You probably know this, because you are so gifted with amazing talent, but the main things is taking care in the cutting the details of the design. That freezer paper really seals if you don't miss any places with your iron. It takes time if you hand-cut, but a Cricut cuts, but designs are somewhat limited for what I like to do. The paper's not re-usable, but clean up is a breeze. Have a great week-end!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Nicole,
    Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the little tutorial. The freezer paper comes in a very large roll and it generally lasts for quite a while, especially since I use it mostly for crafts, like the stencils. Your little ones could get in on the action! Thanks for thinking of my family. We have been so busy. The grands are all in school. We have been involved with picking up of Angela's 3 and cooking for the 5 of them. She is taking Jimmy(our-son-in-law) for radiation for several weeks. Tumors in his brain, sternum and lungs are spreading. It is all out war we are waging, but he is a fighter. They love the Lord and He helps them to bear it. Please keep praying. I hope your family is doing well. Have a great week-end!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Bogomilla,
    You are such an angel! I really appreciate your coming by and appreciate the sweet comments. I have not been able to do much sewing or crafting recently and almost no posting.Because of illness in the family, I have had to put family matters first and help out as much as I can. Sorry to say, I have not been able to visit the blogs of others as much as I would like for several weeks. I did take a little time on my Pinterest(mostly weekends)to get organized and set up some new boards which I had been wanting to do.Hope to get to spend more time with visiting my blogging friends soon. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Christine,
    Thanks so much for visiting and checking out the little tutorial! I really appreciate your sweet comments. My time for blogging has been very limited lately and I am afraid it has been mostly cooking on the back burner. When family members are so very ill and truly need you, all other things take a back seat to the concern and love you have for them. As a mother, I know you understand. Praying for things to get better than they are right now. God bless and have a beautiful weekend!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Debbie,
    You are a beautiful friend and I so much appreciate your stopping by and leaving the sweet comments. You may have noticed that I have not been posting much and have not really been able to do much commenting, except on weekends. There is no telling how many unread g-mails I have. I am having to prioritize because sweet Jimmy's renal cell cancer has spread in his brain and has grown by 30% in lungs and sternum. They started radiation therapy this week and I am trying to help out with their 3 children and with cooking, etc. It is heart breaking. Sorry for the gloom and doom reply.I hope you understand. Hopefully, things will get better and pray that all is well with you and your family. Thanks for being a friend!
    Carol Roll said…
    Wow thanks for this! I'm going to have to try it. You did a great job!
    Decor To Adore said…
    I have a project in mind that this technique might be perfect. Thank you for sharing.
    Laurie said…
    Lynn, this is the cutest project. I will definitely try it. I loved the rooster, but I just saw a dragonfly on The Graphcs Fairy that I might use. I'm so sorry to hear about Jimmy. I will say a prayer for him and the rest of the family. Don't worry about blogging and reading other's posts right now. You are doing exactly what you need to right now and that's being there for your family. God bless you all with peace! Major Hugs!!!

    Laurie
    Patty Antle said…
    Lynn, this is an excellent tutorial and I am going to pin it because I think I can do this! You went to great lengths to help us understand each step. I love that you chose a rooster and I would probably choose the same thing! I like black and roosters!
    Patty Antle said…
    Lynn, this is an excellent tutorial and I am going to pin it because I think I can do this! You went to great lengths to help us understand each step. I love that you chose a rooster and I would probably choose the same thing! I like black and roosters!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Carol, I really appreciate your visit and that you took time to leave a comment. I hope you will try the freezer paper method and that you will post about your project. Can't wait to read all about it. Thanks for stopping by and have a beautiful day!
    lynn cockrell said…
    Laura, I'm so sorry to be late in replying. Family health matters have taken precedent, so I've had to put first things first. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I am anxious to see all the neat things you talented people can use this technique with. It is fun and easy. I hope to be able to spend some quality time soon on my blog and, especially, reading what others, including you, have been posting about recently. Again,thank you. You are a doll and you constantly inspire me. God bless you!
    Wilma said…
    Hi Lynn,

    Thank you for this great tutorial.
    I'm sorry to hear about the illness in your family.
    Praying you all will have the peace of the Lord.

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Wilma.
    lynn cockrell said…
    Laurie, I have been trying to get around to responding to comments on my blog, but you can see, my efforts have been sketch, at best. A lot has happened since I last updated anyone on Jimmy's condition. I had mentioned that he was going for radiation therapy, but his brain started to swell but no one realized it. He was having major headaches, but since his last scan was before treatments began and none since they started. They came by here to pick up the kids and eat dinner that evening and as he was fixing a plate, he lost control of his right side. We had to call an ambulance for him and he went into a full blown seizure when they reached the ER. He stopped breathing and, had he not been there, he would have died. He was hospitalized for almost a week while they worked on the swelling. He is now on major steroids, along with the radiation. He cannot drive for at least six months, so Angela brings him here each morning, so I can watch out for him while she is at work, make sure he is fed and gets his meds. Between the radiation and steroids, he is weak and foggy. He sleeps most mornings, but has to go for radiation afternoons. He is so sweet and humble and does not complain, but keeps trying to keep things as normal as possible for Angela and the kids. I don't think I could have survived all that he has been through in the past 2 1/2 yrs. My heart aches to see him so desperately ill. He was not born to me, but I could not love him more if he had been. Laurie, thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts. We are certain that prayers and his faith have brought him this far. Bless your sweet and loving heart.
    lynn cockrell said…
    Patty, please forgive my not replying sooner. Things have been so busy and crazy in our household. Thanks for pinning. I am so drawn to the rooster images, too, because they fit well in so many situations. I hope to be able to do a post or two this week. I appreciate, so very much, your stopping by to check out my little tutorial. I have a lot of catching up to do, not only on my blog,but on what others have been doing on their blogs. We are praying things will get back to some semblance of normal in a couple of weeks. Patty,thanks for stopping by and I hope you will be showered with blessings and that you will have a beautiful week.
    lynn cockrell said…
    Wilma, thank you for checking out my little tutorial and for leaving your lovely comments. We really appreciate all the prayers that have been going out for our son-in-law. We almost lost him week before last because of swelling in his brain brought on by radiation and, possibly, the cancer as well. He is a sweet and loving person and does not complain about much. We are a family who believes in the power of prayer and he has deep faith in God. Had it not been so, I believe he would have given up. He has been through so very much. May the Lord bless you, Wilma, for praying and for thinking of him and the rest of the family.
    Hi Lynn,
    So sweet of you to take the time to visit and join the party. The tutorial is very informative, (I think even "I" can get it! LOL)and explained so well. It is a technique that I"ll definitely try.
    I'm so sorry about your son in law, I will keep him and the family in my prayers as well. Have faith.
    Big hugs,
    Patti
    Thanks for sharing how you did this, Lyn. I bought some freezer paper ages ago, with just this in mind, but still haven't gotten around to it. Your kitchen towel looks fantastic!!! Thinking of you and your family.

    Popular posts from this blog

    More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

    How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

    Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House