Sour Cream Pound Cake Anyone?

The thing that I am most often asked to bring to family gatherings, church functions, bake sales and benefits is the humble pound cake. I love to cook and, when baking, I enjoy baking a pound cake most of all. It happens that it is also my favorite cake to eat. I have baked more pound cakes than I could ever remember and the cake I most often bake is a Sour Cream Pound Cake and this cake, which I baked today, is it. For a change of pace, I sometimes make a chocolate sauce or lemon curd topping or sliced fruit that can be added to each piece, but most people enjoy it just as you see it.

I have come to realize over the years that it isn't just the recipe but the quality of the ingredients that count. If you would like to try it, the recipe follows.

SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE

Ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3 cups sugar
3 cups all purpose flour(I use only King Arthur All-Purpose Flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
6 large eggs
8 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until it is creamy(about 2 minutes). Gradually add sugar, beating a medium speed for 6 or 7 minutes until mixture is well mixed and creamy looking. Combine flour and baking soda and add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, starting and ending with flour and blending well after each addition. Add eggs, one at a time,beating at low speed, just until yellows disappear. Stir in vanilla extract.

Spoon batter into a Bundt or 10-inch tube pan that has been sprayed with baking spray(the kind that already contains flour). Bake 300 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes or up to 2 hours(until toothpick inserted into top comes out clean).

Cool on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes. Makes one 10-inch cake.

Bon appetit!  


Comments

Holly Lefevre said…
This looks amazing. I am filing this one away - it is a necessity to have a good pound cake recipe, right? Thanks!
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks,Holly! I totally agree. I hope that if you try it, you will let me know how you like it. It has never failed me.

Lynn
Oh this looks soooooo good. I need to give this one a try. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs, Marty
Lynn, this sounds delicious. Wish you hadn't shared it right after I got back on track eating right! :)
lynn cockrell said…
Marty,I do hope you will try it. I have tried others but have worked on perfecting this one for many years and I truly believe you will like it. Thanks for stopping by!

Bless you,
Lynn
lynn cockrell said…























Hi Jessica! A good friend, Joanne,fellow church-goer,auto parts store co-owner and caterer, etc., tells me that this cake freezes well. She is a very busy person. Sometimes, I bake this cake for her and she freezes individual slices and pulls out a slice when she feels she needs or deserves it. That way, she doesn't over-indulge. It never stays around my house long enough to do that! Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day! Lynn
Great idea to portion control! I'd love for you to share it at my link party if you're interested. It's live now at http://www.ahumblecreation.com/2013/01/monday-makeover-link-party-take-5.html
lynn cockrell said…
Jessica, I will do my best to share this recipe if I can figure out how to do it. As I told you before, I have a LOT to learn!

Hi Lynn,
This sounds so yummy! I make a cream cheese one, but I 'm going to try yours, (maybe I'll cut a few calories!). I love the fact that you've perfected it, and it freezes well. Love it!
Thanks so much for your sweet words. I'm your newest follower!
Hugs,
Patti
Decor To Adore said…
Oh I will definitely keep this recipe on hand. It sounds delicious.

Have a very Happy Valentine's week!
lynn cockrell said…
Laura, thanks for dropping by! It is a go-to for me. Never lets me down.
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks for visiting,Patti, and for signing up to follow my blog. Your blog is lovely and I always enjoy a visit there. If you try the pound cake, I hope you enjoy.

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House