A Love Affair And A Cottage Garden Story



Like a great many other people, I have longed for that special place where I can go and be completely absorbed, at least for a time, forgetting any troubles or worries that might be bothering me. A garden is just such a place. There is something wonderful about planting and tending one's own garden, while getting hands dirty in the process. Speaking of dirt, I am going to share something with you! I have been involved in a deep and exciting love affair for a long time. I confess that, in fact, the affair is still going on today. You know how it is, some things are just too wonderful to stop. Looking back, it probably happened because it was just so doggone easy to get involved. The object of my affection has never asked much of me and has required very little pampering or attention. That's why I love Herbs so much!

Okay, so the only dirt involved in this story is the kind that winds up under my fingernails. The part about the love affair is true, however, because I definitely have been in love with that group of plants known as "herbs" for a long time.

I have spent countless hours reading, researching and learning as much as possible about these plants. As long as I can remember, I was interested in herbs. Yet I admit to not knowing the group encompasses so many plants, including some that most of us refer to as weeds, such as the Dandelion. I certainly did not know much about growing them. Then, about twenty years ago, I came across a book entitled The Complete Book of Herbs "A practical guide to growing and using herbs."  It was first published in 1988 and was authored by Lesley Bremnes. I don't know if it is currently being printed, but I find it for sale (used) on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000RXVDMO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used. If you are interested in growing herbs, believe me, it is well worth looking into. I note that it is still getting rave reviews, even some 28 years after its original printing. It is a timeless reference for studying, growing and using herbs. I purchased my copy in 1993 and I still refer to it, after all these years. It is beautifully written, informative and is filled with hundreds of wonderful photographs and diagrams that are still very much pertinent for the gardener of today. This is a picture I took of my copy of the book, which has been used by me as much as my dirty and rusty old potting tools.


The Complete Book of Herbs by Lesley Bremnes
Some of the herbs I grow are planted in the ground and others in pots. Some could be considered perennials in this part of the United States and, depending on how cold a winter we experience, some either stay green all year or come back when warm weather arrives. Others, like tender Basil, must be replanted when spring comes around. 

Situated just outside my kitchen window is a very large (about 6 feet long and 3 feet wide) bed of Oregano.   In the pictures below you can see that there are other plants, like Gladiolus and Lilys, around which the Oregano has grown. I prefer a relaxed, cottage style, rather than formal. It is no big deal to me when things get a little mixed up and crazy. I planted this Oregano years ago, in this spot, when was just a tiny plant. It has a somewhat spreading habit and is pretty much allowed to do its thing, as it falls over the edges of the bed. It is very hardy and retains some of its green leaves through the Winter months. It generally spreads more with each Spring and Summer. It is very pungent--spicy hot in flavor and aroma.

Very Large Bed of Oregano


Another View of Oregano Bed
This Rosemary plant has been growing right beside the bottom steps of my deck for years in front of a Yew. I often reach down and rub the leaves as I walk by it. Honestly, I do this with all my herbs. It is perfect having this Rosemary by the back steps. When I want to add a little punch to a dish I happen to be preparing, I just step out there and snip a sprig or two.
Rosemary Plant by my Back Door Steps

The Eucalyptus tree in my yard is yet another herbal plant. It was planted by my husband and I some 16 years ago. It was just a tiny shoot of a plant at that time, maybe a couple of feet high. We never dreamed it would grow into such a  large and wonderful tree. It smells fabulous, especially when the weather heats up! Another attribute is that it is good  for using in arrangements. A tree can bring joy and this one has brought much joy to us.

Unfortunately, my husband got a little carried away a couple of years ago when doing some yard work. Some of the tree's limbs were touching the ground. I am sure that he meant well when he took a saw to it and "trimmed" some very large limbs off its trunk. I am afraid it suffered, badly, from the cutting it received. The leaves began to fall off and it has become somewhat bare in places. In addition, some of the smaller branches seemed to have died off. The Eucalyptus, though not a hard wood, is known for being a tough tree and one that can survive droughts and hot temperatures, so I hope it will fully recover.

In the picture below you can see, near the bottom of the tree, some of the areas where my husband cut off the branches.You can also see how it has lost some of its leaves in some places. The leaves of this special tree change shape, in stages over the years, as the tree matures. It actually looks like it is two different trees with different leaves. Note how small my granddaughter, Rachel, looks as she plays near the tree. Its magnitude is evident, even though much of the tree's top is not visible here. Can you tell how the leaves near the bottom of the tree are somewhat round in shape and elongated or blade-shaped as you look farther up the tree?



Eucalyptus Tree Showing How Large the Tree is and How Its Leaves are a Rounded Shape  at the Bottom and Elongated at the Top

Some people may not agree, but I think the bark of this tree, with its deep, rusty-brown and gray hues and peeling habit  is wonderful.The bark comes off in long strips, if you pull on it, and it has a spongy texture. With its twisted and gnarled branches, peeling bark and silvery leaves, it is striking. It somehow reminds me of an old Wise Woman, like the ones you find in legends and myths, with wrinkled skin. Here is another picture of the tree, so you get some idea of how beautiful the bark is and the lovely silvery color of the leaves, which are more rounded here at the bottom of the tree. Notice how the small branches have a sort of cascading or weeping habit, almost like vines hanging down.


Close Up of the Trunk of the Eucalyptus Tree




Pictured here, in a large pot, are some of the more tender herbs. It contains Parsley, which actually somehow wintered over in this pot, and Sage. Because of the relatively mild winter we had, the Sage survived winter, too, as well. The Basil and a Pepper plants were added to the medley this spring. Rachel loves most of the culinary herbs and she proceeds to pull the leaves off of the things in this pot when we go out to play. She calls herself "making a salad" and then she eats it.

Potted Basil, Parsley, Sage and Pepper Plant



Our sandy soil is good for growing most herbs, as you can see, because the hardier ones seem to almost thrive on neglect. Vegetables, however, are a much different story. They are difficult to cultivate without investing much time, hard labor and money into the process. It is simply not cost effective and it requires too much labor in preparing and planting the traditional way. Not to mention the fact that I cannot handle the bending and stooping involved in preparing and working with a traditional garden. Therefore, the prospect of growing vegetables has been pretty much out of the question for me. A tomato or two, planted in pots, was about the extent of my vegetable gardening.

And so, every year in the past, when Spring rolled around, I would find myself dreaming of having a vegetable garden, even the tiniest one. I finally came to the realization that if I was going to do any vegetable gardening, other than the occasional tomato, it would have to be done in some sort of planters. A couple of years ago, my son-in-law, Jimmy, and our grandsons, knowing the desires of my heart, built a planter for me for Mother's Day. I was ecstatic about it. Even in the midst of Jimmy's health problems, last year, they built yet another.

These planters measure about 4 X 8 feet each and are situated just past my back deck and close to my kitchen. Since I wanted to be able to sit on the sides as I worked in my garden, the planters were built about 18 inches deep and have flat planks on all of the top sides for sitting and working.

It was a little late in the season when I finally got some things planted in my garden. As I said earlier, I sort of like things a little mixed up and so went hap-hazard this year, planting something in just about every square inch. One planter contains some yellow squash and zucchini plants, some bush bean seeds, climbing bean seeds and some mustard. An Eggplant or two is planted in each of the gardens, as well. I even strewed some Marigold seeds I collected from my flowers last summer, all about. I am hoping these flowers will deter pesky insects and, in the process, add a little color, in the process.

After waiting a few weeks, this is what my garden looked like when I took pictures with my cell phone a couple of weeks ago. The bean seeds had begun to sprout. Some climbing pole beans are planted near the front of this planter. I had intended to redo the poles and chicken wire I used to run things on last year, but I did not get around to it. At this point, we were really in need of a good rain.

Bush Beans, Eggplant & Squash with Georgia Collards in Pots
In the other planter, I planted some more yellow squash and zucchini plants near the front. There are several different varieties of tomatoes at the other end. This is the planter a couple of weeks ago. 
More Bush Beans near the Front End and Tomato Plants in the Far End

More Potted Pepper Plants, Collards and  a Mixed Salad Blend Planted Under-Story
I mentioned the pesky bugs and worms. Soon after the plants started emerging, there was a problem with bugs and worms. I think maybe those "boogers" came in on the Collard and Mustard plants. I made some home-made concoctions, including garlic spray, to try and eliminate the little "boogers." I even placed some orange peels around the plants. I try, though not always successfully, to use organic and eco-friendly methods, when possible. I do not like to use too many commercial pesticides if I can get by. Now that the Marigolds have begun to grow, maybe those will help, as well. Certainly hope so!

Using my cell phone again to record the progress, I snapped the following pictures last weekend. You can see things were coming along, with a little help from the water hose and some plant fertilizer.



Yay! Nothing works better for a garden than rain water and this week we have had a good bit of rain. As you can see from the following pictures, which I took couple of days ago, things have begun to take shape!
Pole Beans Have Started to Climb. A Pot of Chives (One of the Herbs I Enjoy) Sits in the Forefront in this Picture. Some how Spring Violets took Root with the Chives.
Bush Beans and Tomatoes are Really Taking Off Now
The Collards are Looking Better and Some Mustard is Coming Up Below Them (the Bugs and Worms Have Been Trying to Eat Them)

Some Tomato Plants in a Pot

Look Closely and You Can Spy the Little Bean Blossom Behind  the Leaves
A Squash Bloom
Eggplant Blossoms



Many of your gardens are probably a lot bigger and more spectacular than mine, especially those of you who  live on working farms.  For sure, some of you also are already enjoying eating those tasty vegetables. As I said, I was late in getting started. Still, I thought it would be nice to show you the planters my sweet and loving son-in-law and grandsons built for me, so that I could realize the joy of planting and tending a little cottage vegetable garden of my own.  I sincerely hope you enjoyed reading about it.

Thank you, my sweet Jimmy, Glenn and Stephen for making the great garden planters and for making Mimi's gardening dreams come true!










Comments

Hi Lynn,

Love the above ground planting beds...and your veggies and herbs look great! I passed on planting any herbs or veggies this year, last year it felt like I was canning tomatoes every every day and there wasn't enough time to enjoy the outdoors but I may cave and have to plant some peppers and basil at least! Oh and your Eucalyptus tree is stunning, I love the color of the entire thing...
I am envious of all your herbs and vegetable, Lynn!!! I spilt my time between sewing, blogging and gardening. The gardening, however, is receiving the smallest share of my time at the moment. I'm using the cold weather as an excuse.
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks, Christine! I have so enjoyed using the planters. It is so much easier for me and not as discouraging as trying to do it the other way. There is the added bonus of not having to weed constantly. I visited over at Rustic and Refined and it is obvious you have been working hard in your yard, as your flower beds and plants are beautiful!We can't cut the grass because it is still raining here, almost all day every day. It has been good for the veggies, but I need to dead-head and pull out weeds from flower beds, pull out spent plants, divide and rearrange others. It's a real mess! Thank you for stopping by, Christine!
lynn cockrell said…
The only reason I have the veggies is because my sweet son-in-law built the planters for me.I have some bone and back problems, so I feel blessed for having the planters. I really enjoy seeing all the sewing you've been doing over at your blog and I think it is a great idea having the party with people sending their collections. Thanks for stopping by, Pam!
Anya said…
Hi Lynn!!!! wow you have such a wonderful vegetable garden!!! In my small place I try to grow up my flowers and mint. Oh, mint!! Everybody says that it is simple...I don't know why it gets ill every year. Today, I've seen that there is the little red spider on it :-(((
A big hug
Bogomilla
Burlap Luxe said…
Hi L'ynn,
Your garden is divine, I had started adding some rosemary to my galvanized zinc large buckets, and some basil as well to others, doing a small garden this year more in herbs. Your planter box is of pure and good joy. I am working this year on planter boxes and pea gravel grounds so I can share the same garden joy as others do with there euro- chicness

Thank you my friend for adding joy in my heart with your beauty and grace when you visited me.

Keep inspiring your garden and the table of abundance.
Blessings

Xx
Dore
Lynn,
I truly enjoyed reading this wonderful post that was so eloquently written!!
Love all the herbs that you have planted along with your wonderful little vegetable garden. My Dad had a huge vegetable garden with some 40 tomato plants along with beans, lettuce, zucchini, cabbage......
I did plant tomatoes in large pots for the boys to care for when they were younger but I unfortunately do not have the room for vegetables so I stick to my flowers. And also my stomach problems do not allow me to eat any vegetables without terrible consequences...
Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment on my Powder Room. I am glad I gave you a chuckle. I like to keep things real and I really was on the floor like that!!! LOL!
Oh and I forgot to mention that your tree is magnificent and love the contrast between the bark and the leaves!!

Hugs,
Deb
Your garden looks great and it makes me wish I still had time for my garden.
Anonymous said…
I am suгe this piеce of wгiting
has touсheԁ аll thе internet vieweгs, its rеally really pleasаnt article оn
building uρ new
blog.

Here is mу page losing weight after 50
Anonymous said…
Pretty! Τhis was аn еxtremely wοnderful post.
Thank you for supplying this іnfο.

Мy blοg what is going green
Patty said…
Lynn, this is a wonderful post. I really enjoyed reading it and learning about herbs, veggies and your wonderful family. I know nothing about growing anything but now that I am retired, maybe I will take a class or something. It seems there is much joy in watching a garden grow! Yours looks so nice!!
Anonymous said…
Amazing! This blog loοks exactly likе mу olԁ one!
It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!

Feel free to visit my web blog: natural Hypothyroidism Treatment
Erika said…
Dear Lynn, your post is wonderful and the pictures also. I love herbals too and could nont see enough of them (or eat and drink or smell them :))
Happy herbal time and a lot of fun!
Hugs
Erika
Lynn,
Thanks so much for always stopping by! I should have explained about the boots with the succulents.... My Dad wore boots like those every day to work. My Mom threw his out after he passed away so when I saw this pair at a yard sale for $1.00, they reminded me of my Dad so i bought them and planted the hens and chicks in them. My Dad also loved to garden so I thought this was a nice way to pay him homage...

Hugs,
Deb
Laurie said…
Hi Lynn,

I learned something new today. I never knew Eucalyptus was an herb. Your tree is humongous and beautiful. If you're not careful, the floral shops might come by and start sneaking a few sprigs. Ha! I love your little cottage garden....looking all healthy and lush. It looks almost exactly like mine did last year. I even used chicken wire and the same tomato cages. My raised beds were only 4 x 4, though. I have 4 of them and went crazy planting them, too. This year I realized that I don't spend enough time at home to tend to it, so I didn't plant one this year. Bummed about that. I miss my little garden. Oh well, that just gives me a chance to visit the farmer's market and help those who garden for a living, right. Talk to you soon.

Laurie
Carol Roll said…
Great blog. Great pictures. I love gardening myself but don't have the green thumb, working on it.

lynn cockrell said…
Debbie, please forgive me for being so long in replying to your sweet comments on my garden post.We've had a lot going on.Poor Jimmy, with all his other troubles, had an appendectomy on Mon.this week.Their little girl had her 6th birthday on Tues.in the middle of all that. I was so touched reading about your Dad's garden. My parents loved to garden,too, but his job took up so much of his time and took him away from home so much,so Mom got to do more than he did. Glenn's father had a wonderful garden every year and we ate some delicious things from it. I feel so bad for you that you can't enjoy so many foods now. I adore those boots in your garden. I've been on the lookout for a pair myself. How wonderful that you can think of your father every time you see them and what a beautiful way to remember him. I will never look at a pair of work boots in the garden the same way again. Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy week to visit with me and to let me know you came by!!
lynn cockrell said…
So good to hear from you, Bogomilla! I am sorry to be so long in replying. My gardens are small and packed with plants. I think I planted too much, after all. Mint usually is easy to grown, at least down here it is. It probably is the spiders which are causing the problem. I am trying to catch up on my blogging as I have not been able to visit as often in the past couple of weeks. Thanks so much for stopping by with your encouraging comments. You always encourage me!
lynn cockrell said…
Dore, I have a lot of things in pots, too, as you can see. It helps so much in dealing with weeds, which are a real problem here, and allows for things to grown in good potting or garden top-soil.You will love the planter boxes when you get them done. It has made such a difference for me and really does bring a lot of joy and gratification into the process. I bought the issue of Artful Blogging that features your blog banner. It is a beautiful magazine and I congratulate you on being featured! I pray that God will continue to bless you in all you do.
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your nice comments. I know how busy you stay with creating things for the shop and all. I hope that is still going well and will continue to grow in success. I apologize for being so late in replying, but time has gotten away from me lately with so much going on. Thanks again for stopping by!
lynn cockrell said…
Patty, it is so nice to hear from you and I really appreciate your taking time to stop by. I have been discouraged on more than one occasion when trying to plant a vegetable garden. If you do start gardening, I would suggest herbs, because they really don't require pampering like so many things.Most of them are so fragrant and useful for cooking, etc. I highly recommend planting veggies in planters, unless you have wonderful soil.It is so much easier and rewarding.Thanks again for stopping by!
lynn cockrell said…
Erika, I am so glad you stopped by and visited my little garden post. It is easy to see that you appreciate the wonderful properties of herbs. As I stated in this post, I really do love them for all the same reasons you stated and that they are so very easy to grow. I apologize for taking so long to respond to your comments and appreciate your dropping by!
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks for stopping by, sweet Laurie, and for taking the time to leave a comment. I know how busy you are what with all the races, grandchildren, etc. I'll bet your garden was great last year. You probably had about the same amount of space in your planters as I do now, with the two. I, too, love going to the farmer's market. I admit I haven't been this season yet. As you said, it is good to support our locals when possible. Thanks again for stopping by!
lynn cockrell said…
Carol, thanks for stopping by to visit my little garden blog post. I really do not have a green thumb. That's why I adore herbs and love the garden planters. That way I do less work and gain more joy! I checked out your Etsy shop. You have some really cute creations there. Thanks again for leaving your nice comments!

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House