A Gift for a Sweet Girl

My three sweet grandchildren have now returned to their own home. This is a good thing because it means their daddy was well enough to be released from the hospital. Their lives have been turned upside down for the past several years by the cruel reality of a world in which their father fights a moment to moment battle with cancer. Stage IV kidney cancer, to be more precise, with all its horrors and coupled with massive radiation and chemo treatments, the side effects of which can be as devastating as the disease itself.

This lovable, lively,  cottage cheese mooching fellow, Champ, who also stays with us during these periods, went back home with the children.

You might have guessed, he is begging for a morsel!
 We love them all dearly, but hope they will not have to come back for quite some time for any extended stays. We hope their dear, sweet daddy will be enjoying some really good days at home! That is our prayer.

It is no secret that I am a (cheap)frugal lady. It brings me great pleasure to find a really good deal on something I can truly use. Two of my favorite words are "practical" and "serviceable." A good deal can be both.

Several years ago, I came across two packages of beads on clearance at Walmart. Each package was actually a kit, complete with instructions, for assembling a large necklace comprised of three separate strands of beads, entwined or twisted to make one large necklace. I had no idea, at the time, what I was going to do with these beads, but I  was certain I could use them for making something pretty, though probably not the three-stranded necklaces for which the kits were originally purposed. I tend to be spontaneous and adventurous, by nature, so I frequently like to change things up a bit. The sensation of "flying by the seat of my pants" is familiar to me when working on a project. I sometimes find the fun is in seeing what is at the end of an uncharted journey! It keeps things interesting, to say the least!

Therefore, I decided to shell out the enormous sum of one dollar each for these fabulous kits that contained some beautiful beads in ocean-inspired and sea colors. One contained the colors of ocean sands, mother of pearl and seashells.. The other contained the more neutral colors of the ocean sands, mother of pearl, sea foam and aqua sea glass.

Here is a photo of one unopened kit, a picture of the top of the package from the other and, in a plastic freezer bag, the many beads left over after I finished the project I am posting about today. In the picture is the only actual jewelry making tool I own. You can clearly see the red tags stating $1.00 on each. One was marked down to $1.50 before it finally went down to $1.00. From the tag on the other, it appears that both kits had originally probably cost $5.96.

As I recall, the little jewelry tool is called a 5-in-1 tool or something like that. It can be used for a number of jewelry making tasks and really is invaluable for cutting wires and headpins, rounding off the headpins to make nice, clean connections and for making round loops. It can also be used for opening and closing jump rings, split rings, closing loops and rings, etc. As you can see, there are a ton of beads left over from my project in the quart sized freezer bag.There are enough beads there for many more sets of earrings, necklaces or bracelets. Now that is, literally, stretching a dollar!

As I have stated before, I am positively NOT an expert jewelry maker, but I enjoy the process of learning. Someday, if my hurting hands will allow, I hope to take a course or two in jewelry making, so that my projects will look a little more sophisticated and polished. I am afraid surgery for one hand is in order, but I do not have the time or the inclination for that right now. As with many of my hobbies, I have used the internet, magazine articles with tutorials, etc. to gain a little knowledge about the subject over the years.


Since a friend was having a birthday, I decided to make a pair of drop earrings and a one strand necklace for her. I changed my mind, started over, and made two coordinating bracelets instead. In my stash of (findings (supplies), I already had some stretchy jewelry stringing thread, for assembling the bracelets, and some hooks and long jewelry headpins for making drop earrings.

This is the finished set.
I adore the colors in this set and how the bracelets are the hues of ocean waters. They also contain faux pearls and one of them has large blue/green beads that remind me of sea glass! I think sea glass is positively wonderful and I certainly hope my friend likes this ocean inspired set! 

Do you think you might enjoy creating a few pieces of jewelry? If you want to try your hand at some simple jewelry projects, it does not have to be expensive. You can do like me. I look for bargains on materials and supplies and I recycle other items of my own or from other places, such as broken and/or discarded jewelry finds. You know how much I like to keep things out of the landfills when I can. As the saying goes, "One woman's trash............." or something like that! 


There are any number of sources with tutorials on the subject on the internet. Of course, there are books at the library and even free brochures at hobby and craft shops and stores. For example, here is one link I found today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPcZVWdsgc. This is just one source. There are any number of free sources to be found on the subject. 

For me, it is a hobby that has been a lot of fun over the years. It is nice to be able to craft something special and unique, from time to time, for yourself or to give to that special person. Please be encouraged to try this for yourself. Let your spirit of learning soar to another plane. Try something new and different. Go for it! Take that uncharted flight, you might just be surprised at how much fun and how rewarding it can be. You, too, can "fly by the seat of your pants" and you might love the place where you land!

Comments

NanaDiana said…
I am glad your SIL is doing well enough so that the kids can go home. How awful that anyone has to go through cancer...especially those that are so young and have so much life ahead of them. I have a prayer request on my blog today for someone that is fighting a similar battle. God bless them one and all.

Your jewelry is lovely. You did a wonderful job and what a nice gift. I have never tried my hand at that particular craft. xo Diana
I will be praying for your son in law friend...Praying hard. That God will give him good days to spend with his sweet kiddos. And that pup is adorable! Your jewelry is beautiful! I love making jewelry but it has gotten away from me in the past several years. Your pieces are just stunning! Way to inspire friend!! All the best to you friend and your family...Nicole xoxo
Erika said…
Hope and prayers for your son in Law, dear Lynn! So much things in my mind, when I read your post.
All the best for you and your family and be blessed!
Big warm hugs from Erika
EG CameraGirl said…
It's nice you've gotten to know your grandchildren so well but the circumstances that put them in your home are very sad. Their dog is so cute! You make very pretty jewellery!
lynn cockrell said…
Erika,

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your caring comments! We carry on as best we can, day by day. Have a beautiful week ahead!
lynn cockrell said…
I really appreciate your dropping by my blog today and leaving your sweet comments. The situation with my son-in-law is a serious one. He is a good man and a good father. I pray for a cure for all forms of cancer.
Anya said…
Dear Lynn! I'm sorry for the kids and their father...I'll pray for him and all of you! But that dog is sooooo nice!!!!
A big hug
Bogomilla
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks so much, Bogomilla! We all need a lot of prayer and it is very much appreciated. Champ is a sweet little dachshund and very lovable and mischievous, as well. I pinned that photo onto my Pinterest account and he has been quite a hit on there.

I hope you will have a beautiful and blessed week!
Cindy said…
We spent the years with mom watching over her with this nasty word called cancer, how unfortunate children and animals are, my heart aches for them.

Glad you can find peace in making a frugal gift. I love making jewellery and posting pictures of it, soon I hope, first get things unpacked from our time away, enjoy your week
Lorette said…
Hello Lynn, here from the GYB and your comment on my blog! I will follow you too... So sorry to hear of your SIL's illness and I hope he enjoys the best days ahead! How hard it must be for that family, the kids must miss him when he's in hospital! Thank God you're there for them!
Your jewelry is beautiful. I too enjoy beading when I get a chance and I love a great bargain! I miss my thrift store shopping!
I will catch up with your blog soon...
lynn cockrell said…
Lorette,

I am so glad you came by and left such sweet and caring comments. Thanks so much for choosing to follow my blog!

Yes, the kids really miss their daddy when he is away and they have missed being in their own home environment with the mom there doing what mothers do. She has spent much time with Jimmy when he is in the hospital. They finally are getting some nursing care in the home and Angela finally made the difficult decision to take a leave from work to take care of him.

Your comment about the jewelry I have made is kind. I hope to learn more about the process some day.

Have an especially blessed day!
lynn cockrell said…
Cindy,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your much appreciated kind comments.

You will know first hand, having lost your mother to the disease, that cancer causes a lot of heartache and misery and it is not only the person with the disease who is the victim. I can honestly say, and I don't think God will hold me in judgement for saying it, that I hate cancer!

Have a beautiful day!
Sami said…
Sorry about your son in law, with small kids it must be very hard on your daughter knowing he might not be around for long. Life can be cruel sometimes! Little "Champ" is very cute. Hope he brings the family much joy and helps them over this difficult period. Thanks for coming over to my blog and leaving some kind words about the loss of our dear cat "Mommy" and well wishes for "Fluffy".
Sami said…
Sorry forgot, the jewellery set is beautiful, it has my favourite colour too, I love anything with blues!
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks for coming by, Sami! Your caring comments are so much appreciated. Our Jimmy had an appointment with one of his oncologists yesterday and they told them that unless he gets much stronger and better they will not likely be doing any more treatments, chemo/radiation. We all knew that he was not strong enough to handle any more, at least for now. Meanwhile, the cancer in his lungs is rapidly spreading. They started dating when she was very young. They got married when she was not quite 19 and have been married for 25 years. Their oldest child will be 17 next month. They have been together most of their lives and it has been heartbreaking.

Again, thank you for being so kind and caring.

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House