Festival of Nations Parade 2014 at Dollywood

It is a rainy day here in South Carolina and I am thinking back and dreaming of a beautiful Spring day a couple of weeks ago. We were sitting in a perfect location at the exact spot where the Festival of Nations Parade at Dollywood was about to begin.

This day the parade featured not only the outrageously beautiful lady, herself, but representatives from the countries that are represented at the festival this year. The beautiful lady actually appeared near the end of the parade, but I thought it only fitting that I post a picture of her first. After all, she is the lady from whom the wonderful park gets its name.

 Being chauffeured by the "Mayor of Dollywood," here is the star herself, Ms. Dolly Parton!
Dolly Parton in The Festival of Nations Parade at Dollywood

I once heard her jokingly say to someone who was interviewing her on television something to the effect of "I pay a lot of money to look like this." That was years ago and I am almost certain that these were not her exact words, but it was something like that, as I recall. I suppose the reason I remembered this is because my thought at the time was that she had gotten her money's worth and I still think so today. Isn't she gorgeous?

First in the parade was the Piano Music Box ballerina and music box piano player from Italy. The piano moves along the street while the pianist plays music, which sounds like the notes are coming from a music box. As the piano moves and the music plays the wonderfully elegant live ballerina spins on top of the "music box!"
Ballerina and Piano Music Box Player from Italy
Here are some photos of the ballerina as she spins atop the Piano Music Box while the musician plays 
while they move rather slowly along the street. They made appearances throughout the day in the park. It was beautiful thing to behold!
Piano Music Box Ballerina from Italy in Dollywood's Festival of Nations Parade
Piano Music Box Ballerina in Dollywood's Festival of Nations Parade


Africa was represented by members of the troupe from the Mother Africa show.
Africa is Represented in Dollywood's Festival of Nations Parade

The two men in the following pictured, wearing green shirts represent Zambia. There are actually five of them in a vocal group which performed at the Back Porch Theater which is one of the open air theaters in the park. They make scheduled appearances throughout the park's hours.

Zambia(Dressed in Green Shirts)Represented in Dollywood's Festival of Nations

Just behind Zambia's vocal group  is this Polish accordion player. He roams the shops and restaurants of Dollywood during the festival as he plays traditional Polish folk music.
Polish Musician Plays Traditional Polish Folk Music

This group is from Ecuador, this talented group of musicians plays a combination of Native Incan instruments with contemporary backup. They perform at the Show Street Gazebo periodically throughout the day during the festival. As quoted from the brochure they celebrate in their music "the history and culture of the Andes Mountains."
Atahualpa Represents Ecuador at Dollywood's Festival of Nations
This is a photo of the group as they perform at the Show Street Gazebo.

Atahualpa Performing at Show Street Gazebo During Dollywood's festival of Nations 2014
Here the beautiful people in La Danza de Columbia represents Columbia.
Columbia Represents La Danza de Columbia Troupe


Performers from Germany included these stilt walkers, among others. The colorful traditional costuming displayed throughout the festival's performances are awe-inspiring.

Germany is Represented by Zebra Stelzentheater

Now, lovely people, I will leave you with a few more photos of someone that I believe to be one of the most generous and gracious, intelligent, talented and beloved personalities in the world of entertainment, Dolly Parton. 
 This photo is another from our first day of the Festival of Nations parade.
Dolly Parton and the "Mayor of Dollywood" in the Festival of Nations Parade 2014

This side view (of her cute hairdo). It is one that was taken on our second day at the park for the festival this Spring.
Dolly Parton in the Festival of Nations Parade at Dollywood in 2014

This one is not from this year. As I recall, this photo was taken during the National Southern Gospel and Harvest Celebration in 2011.

I hope you have enjoyed this recap of the Festival of Nations parade at Dollywood!

Be blessed!





Comments

Lorette said…
What great photos of the parade! I remember Dolly saying that she had paid good money to look like that! I believe it was on the Oprah show. Thank you for sharing!
lynn cockrell said…
Dear Lorette, I am so glad you stopped by to check things out. I could not remember her exact words or where it took place, but I remember getting a good laugh at her candidness and great sense of humor. Now that you refreshed my memory, I do seem to remember it was on Oprah. I should have looked it up first. Hee-hee!

Thanks for your sweet comments and for jogging my feeble memory!
NanaDiana said…
What a wonderful parade, Lynn. There is nothing quite like Dollywood, is there? Dolly is even more beautiful than she was years ago AND everyone says she is a wonderful person in real life. xo Diana
lynn cockrell said…
Dear Diana,
Thanks so much for coming by! Dolly really is gorgeous. When she comes out on stage to welcome the guests in the park and guest entertainers, she always seems so genuine and nice. An older lady sitting next to us in the parade who is one of her biggest fans was leaving for England the end of the week to see Dolly in concert over there. She said she had followed her all over the place in the states any time she could. Like you I've heard good things about her and when there has been an adverse rumor or two, she seems to have taken it in her stride.
Patty Antle said…
I really enjoyed this, Lynn. I've never been there but now I want to go. Dolly sure is gorgeous!
Burlap Luxe said…
Oh Lynn,
Thank you for taking us along on your Dolly wood parade :)
How exciting to be this close snapping away with photos that inspire a vacation to Dolly wood :)
You do some of the best vacations, and of course the best vacation shares :)

Thank you sweet friend for taking the time to visit my post and better leaving a comment on your way home that joys my heart.

Xoxo
Dore
First of all I wanted to tell you how emotional your comment on my last post made me. Your stories of your youth were heart warming and so touching. This parade looked fantastic Lynn! Let me tell you that I read a book written by Dolly Parton to my beans. It is called My Coat of Many Colors. It is about a coat her mother made her out of rags when she was young because they had no money but she felt that she was rich because of the love of family. It was a book that I once read to my students and then I had each kiddo make a quilt square and I would attach them all and it was our classroom quilt of love! She is so cool and wow how neat to be able to see her that close up! I grew up listening to Working 9 to 5 on my record player!!! Hope you are well dear friend and thank you for being you! Nicole xoxo
Decor To Adore said…
What a wonderful event showcasing unity. I just adore Dolly!
What a great parade! I love Dolly. Did you know that she has a literacy program for children 1-5 that live in rural areas? She sends my daughter a book every month - without ever charging us. It's called the Imagination Library. I'll always love her that, she does such great things with her celebrity.
Lynn,
What a great event and I think Dolly looks beautiful!! I think she is a beautiful person both inside and out and she has gotten prettier with age.....

Thanks so much for ALWAYS stopping by and for youe support and encouragement!!

I went through a rough time over the past several months with taking on too much and I realize my limitations now.....

I will continue to blog but maybe not post as much as I was...3 post a week was too much...

It is because of wonderful people like yourself that i have returned and will continue to keep Blogging!!

Hugs,
Debbie
lynn cockrell said…
I am so glad you stopped by, Patty! Thanks for taking the time and for leaving your nice comments. Dollywood really has some quality family entertainment and we have enjoyed watching things evolve there over the years. I agree, she is gorgeous!
lynn cockrell said…
It is so sweet of you to stop by my little post about the Parade of Nations at Dollywood, Dore. I am glad you enjoyed reading about it. Most of the vacations we take are places we can reach within a day's drive and some of the places we have watched evolve over the years. We find there is something new to be offered, even in those places.

So far, no exotic places for the two of us together, unless we count Hawaii when I joined my husband on R&R. We still dream of distant travel!

Happy Easter and I hope you and your family will have a gorgeous weekend!
lynn cockrell said…
I am so glad you stopped by, Nicole. Thank you for your sweet and sincere comments!

Your post about the wash tub is wonderful! I enjoyed it so much. The thing about my childhood is that I grew up in rural Georgia, where we didn't necessarily have some of the modern conveniences that some people who grew up during that era might have enjoyed. Of course, they have some great memories, too, without a doubt, just of different things. Life was was not always easy for us and we did not have a lot, but we made the best of what we had. Like most people, not all memories are necessarily of a perfect life, but most I consider blessings today.

Happy Easter, dear Nicole, and I hope that you and your beautiful family will have a wonderful weekend!



lynn cockrell said…
Thanks, Laura, for coming by and for taking the time to leave your nice comments! The parade is not a huge production and small compared to most, but it really is a nice one. Dolly is a terrific person and I admire her very much.

I hope you and your dear family will have a beautiful Easter weekend!
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks so much for stopping by my little blog! I appreciate your taking time to leave your nice comments. I have heard of Dolly's efforts to promote literacy and I think she is a wonderful person. How great that your daughter is benefiting from the program!

The parade is not a huge production, but really is wonderful and I think she is, too!

Have a beautiful weekend with your family!
lynn cockrell said…
Forgive me, Nicole, I want to add a comment about how special I think what you did with your students, reading the book and making the quilt is. It is one they will probably remember all their lives. "Coat of Many Colors" is on display in a little museum at Dollywood. My husband and I took Rachel(our youngest grand daughter, now 5) to see it while the older kids and the parents were riding some bigger rides.The next year when her parents took her into the park she told them she wanted to go there and she led them to the building where it is located. She loves it so much. She and her now 6 year old cousin, Jewel, have spent some happy times at my house doing dolly impressions, singing and dancing, while watching our video "An Evening with Dolly, Live." All of our grands love her and Dollywood!





Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House