Skillet Ham Frittata Recipe

Do you like eggs? We really like eggs in this family and not just for breakfast. We like cheese too--any time. Not to offend any of my vegetarian friends out there, but we also like meats! When it comes to meats, ham is a favorite in this household. We also like our vegetables and when we can have eggs, cheese and vegetables in one dish, well, it makes us pretty happy. 

A dish that fills that bill is the frittata. The Skillet Ham Frittata I prepared for us this afternoon certainly does. It contains dairy products, proteins and vegetables and even a fruit! 

I cannot claim the Skillet Ham Frittata is low in calories. No, I do not suppose a slice of this particular frittata is considered dietetic. I would venture to say, however, that a slice would be considered quite wholesome. It is not only wholesome. It is satisfying and delicious!
Skillet Ham Frittata
In addition to all that, all the ingredients can be cooked in the same pan. Any type of  heavy stove top-to-oven pan can be used. To be honest, I own two 10-5/8 inch cast iron skillets. Since I had planned to share with my sweet neighbor and my two daughters, I actually doubled my recipe and baked a fritta in each of them! 
Skillet Ham Frittata

My recipe is actually pretty quick to prepare and bake. Since I chopped my own fresh vegetables by hand and grated the cheese myself, those things were the most time consuming for me. A food processor could be used for the chopping. Purchased shredded cheese could be used, as well, to cut down on the preparation time.

For this dish, I prefer the vegetables to be very finely chopped. That is my just my preference. I happened to have some leftover baked ham on hand, so I used it for my frittata. Of course, already cubed or chopped ham can be purchased and used to cut down on the prep time.


My recipe is for one 10-5/8 inch Skillet Ham Frittata and makes about eight (8) servings.

Skillet Ham Frittata

Ingredients:

6 large eggs
3 T. half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded mild or sharp shredded cheese
1-1/2 T. canola oil or other vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (any variety/color)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked ham
1-1/2 T. butter
1 very thinly sliced large red tomato
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning mixture or other herb seasoning mixture of choice

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
  • In a large bowl, beat 6 eggs with a fork until well beaten and frothy.
  • Add 3 tablespoons of half-and-half, salt and ground black pepper to beaten eggs in bowl.
  • Add shredded cheese to egg mixture and stir until evenly incorporated 
  • Pour 1-1/2 canola oil into a large stovetop-to-oven skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) on stove top with burner on medium heat and heat the oil for a couple of minutes being careful not to allow the oil to burn.
  • To the heated oil in the iron skillet, add the chopped celery, chopped onion and chopped bell pepper. Coating the vegetables in the canola oil in the skillet, saute vegetables until soft and onions are transparent. When onions in the vegetable mixture become transparent, transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside. 
  • Using the same skillet on stovetop, heat the butter until melted but NOT burned. Remove the iron skillet containing the melted butter from burner and pour egg and cheese mixture into the butter in the hot iron skillet.
  • While the skillet is still hot, quickly add the sauteed vegetables to the egg mixture. Being careful not to scape the bottom of the skillet where the eggs have begun to cook in the melted butter, gently spread the vegetables evenly throughout the egg and cheese mixture.
  • Place the rounds from the thinly sliced tomato (the fruit I mentioned earlier) evenly around the top of the egg mixture.
  • Sprinkle the dried Italian herb seasoning mixture over top of  the frittata and place the frittata into the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the center of the frittata is lightly set but NOT overcooked.
  • Using an oven mitt to grasp the hot handle, remove the fritta from the oven to a protected surface. The heat from the heavy iron skillet will continue to cook the frittata for a couple of minutes after it is removed from the oven. After 3 to 5 minutes, go ahead and slice the baked frittata in wedges and enjoy!
Skillet Ham Frittata
This frittata is fully nutricious served alone, but a nice green salad or some citrus fruit is a great accompaniment. Lots of southern folks, such as myself, think a serving of creamy, steaming hot grits is perfect too!

I am linking this post up to :

Sunday Showcase Party

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House